Topic: I need some help with fish tank lid ideas and DIY tops for my aquariums? I want tops on my tanks to help with evaporation and keep the heat in the tank better. What are the best materials to use that I can maybe do myself? Thanks for the help!
Posted by Chris W: I’ve been keeping fish for years upon years and tried to think of every different idea for aquarium lids.. I’ve used plastics from the home improvement store.. made custom wood canopies.. pretty much anything you can think of. After years of using all these different materials, the BEST thing to use for aquarium tops is “polycarbonate” from the greenhouse industry. It comes in big sheets though.. that’s the bad thing though.. GOOD news though! A company cuts up pieces for you and ships them to your house for really cheap.
The name of the company is called “Off The Deep End” and if you contact them they will ship you a piece cut to your tank size. They have options with pieces with hinges too. That way you can open open the hinge to reach your arm in and feed your fish etc. I’ve just been ordering from them now and it’s been great.
@Reply: Not sure what you mean.. The polycarbonate lids fit right into the spot where glass lids would. They are around the same thickness as glass is too.. so it works perfect. I’m telling you guys… buying lids from these guys is the route to go! Go visit their facebook page and put in an order with them here “Off The Deep End”
Thanks for the reply. Yeahhhhhh everything I’m trying isn’t working so great… My next option is to just go to a glass company and get some thicker glass cut. But I’m wondering if buying glass lids will just be the same price..?
- @Reply: Glass lids are great UNTIL you set them down wrong or clean them and bump somthing and CRACK! You wont have that problem with polycarbonate. Plus this stuff has a higher PAR rating than glass! That means it lets more light through than glass!!!
More Related Questions:
- I know i have done the right thing , putting my hybrid babies to sleep, but that hasn’t made this morning any easier,i am feeling like a monster, and sick to the stomach, i love all my mbunas even the accidental ones… This hobby brings me so much joy , and i now realise it brings sadness to, its the first time in just over a year of fish keeping i have ever had to euthanise pet fish, i am sorry if this post upsets anyone, i have saved many of my adult mbuna with lots of love and care when they have been beaten up, or had white spot, or the other wonderful problems cichlids throw at you.. Im upset and just needed to get it off my chest , i am usually the person trying to save animals not put them to sleep..😥😥😥
- It doesn’t matter, not enough space? No one to take them? No LFS willing to take them, too far to transport. She’s upset about having to do it.
- I have no tank space, and I normally sell my babies to local fish store, the ones i know are pure bred, i know through looking on the Internet people in the fish stores, don’t want hybrids mixing into the hobby, i live in Australia and Hybrids are illegal to sell on, i gave about 6 to a family member, but my female spat at least 35 it was a female hongi and my blueberry got hold of her she has had several nice pure babies so she had a large batch, i grew them up to a couple of centimetres just to be sure, and they all came out blotchy like the dad…. trust me i am still bawling my eyes out now and feel so horrible inside…
- I worked in the LFS industry for 7 years and moved on after college to teach, I have been in the hobby for over 25 years, I have been in your shoes. Through freshwater, saltwater, illness, etc as long as you did it humanly you can sleep tonight it’s hard, other “pet owners” don’t know our attachment to our fish we have!
- Thank u, I researched for over a week, and i used clove oil method, as could not of smashed them onto floor, they were my babies , and my pets and just feel like i could cope with that method over all the other ones out there… it seemed like the most humane way to do it…
- I’m sorry. I leave babies in the tank now and they mostly all get eaten. It sucks but sometimes if is what it is.